Monday, February 22, 2010

I had a frustrating day

...so I'm going to vent.

Pet peeves: updated extended edition

1) Music snobs. Whether they're concentrating on the most obscure current band known to man or some edgy 70s rock band, they know that it belongs to the Greatest Genre in Existance, and if you don't acknowledge it, you just have bad taste. Music snob, there's no real excuse for having this attitude unless you're into classical.

2) Font snobs. Font snobs, nobody cares but you. Your disdain for the uncle who still uses Comic Sans in all his emails or for the fact that your company used Papyrus in yet another flyer should not be considered fodder for a self-righteous status update. Keep it to yourself or set up a support group where you can discuss your aesthetic indignation with other Font snobs.

3) Men/boys who can't let it go or give you space. No, Exboyfriend, I don't want to be facebook friends with you again, and I don't want to "give this another try," whatever the hell your definition of "this" is. I want to pretend you don't exist. No, older male friend who I like but who seems to appreciate me a little more than makes me comfortable, I don't want to have lunch with you a week after I had lunch with you the last time, especially when you wish me Happy Valentines day in the same breath as your lunch invitation.

4) High maintenance, passive aggressive, combative, patronizing, and/or abnormally self-centered people. And when any of these qualities are embodied by someone you have to deal with through work, especially an author or customer, it's just that much worse.

5) Political conversation-dive-bombers. "Hey! I got $400 extra back on my tax retur--" "OBAMA IS THE DEVIL WHO IS TAKING ALL OUR HARD-EARNED MONEY AND GIVING IT TO LAZY PEOPLE WHO DON'T DESERVE IT AND BY THE WAY HE EATS BABIES." The facebook version of this is particularly heinous (I think fewer people have the guts or are rude enough to do it in person).

6) Getting teased for my taste in music being too "low-brow" or my taste in movies being too "high-brow." I like Ke$ha's Tik Tok and my favorite movie is The Mission. It's how I'm built. If you bring this up in a remotely patronizing tone, I will shoot daggers at you with my eyes. I can think of three people (out of my five to six readers... hm, risky post) who might think I'm talking about them, but I'm not actually mad at any of you over this.

7) Excessively negative people. ...Which means I should probably bring this bitchfest to a close before I become a hypocrite. :)

I don't know whether it was the venting or the way too much ice cream, but I do feel better. Just enough time to shower and get started on a project before bed. Mmm, not being at work is the best.

6 comments:

  1. I do love Comic Sans font. I feel that it's funnier than the other fonts. Sorry for all the pet peeves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Thank you for affirming that the Tik Tok comment was not directed at me. And I wouldn't criticize someone for having "low-brow" taste in music; my playlist has a fair share of emo, showtunes, pop, and Disney songs. My Ke$ha hatred is very specific.

    Ha, OMG, politics on Facebook, don't even get me started...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit to appreciating good typography, but unless you're talking about a resume or serious college paper, font really doesn't matter that much. I'm bemused by the sudden hate for Papyrus I've seen lately, though; it's all pretty and Egyptian-y!

    I flat out don't get music snobs. Even in genres that aren't my personal favorites, like country or rap, there are still songs and/or artists that I like, and even if I don't I can objectively recognize that there's quality there. What's the point in dismissing whole eras or genres?

    Speaking of snobs, let me tell you sometime about film snobs. OMG, let me tell you.

    (Hee, I love that icon.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. S: See, and that... is ok. Way to have Comic Sans love. Stay strong.

    C: Yeah, I saw your uncle or whoever it was making an argument out of absolutely *nothing* the other day. Sorry -- that sucks. This is part of why I basically never update any more ever.

    S: Yeah, I appreciate an attractive font, too (and I really like Papyrus).
    Music snobs complain that pop music is crap, but it's enjoyable crap, and the point is to enjoy yourself, no? And really, Bob Dylan, The Velvet Underground, Obscure Current Band, and Lady Gaga are all crap compared to Mozart, so get of your high horse.
    I... I *love* that icon. Although I think the Admiral Badass one may be my favorite icon in the history of the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's because "The Mission" is awesome. Plus: best soundtrack evar.

    Also, I'm not sure what it says about me that I immediately assume this ENTIRE POST is about me and wish to grovel. I will apologize for inadvertantly hitting one of your sore points yesterday when I was actually mocking other people...including myself. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, no, see, you (and the Catherine Tik Tok connection) were the main reason I put up the disclaimer, promise! That whole movie discussion did get me thinking about this again, but the whole Holly Gets Mocked For Her Movie Tastes thing has been a theme for a very, very long time. (And I can't even see how else you would fit into this post.) And ISN'T IT awesome?? I may have to go listen to the soundtrack now.

    ReplyDelete